Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Class Considerations

Well, today's update will be rather short. This information can't come too quickly because as I said, my goal is to develop a plan that won't even be possibly ready til after next year.

So, I've contacted some small trade schools around here to see if I could take some classes to get my general knowledge up and this is what I think I'm looking at as of now...

  1. Diesel - General Maintenance: Learn the basics of maintaining and repairing diesel engines.
  2. Outboard Motor Repair: Repair and maintain outboard motors.
  3. Small Engine Repair: Do you like to fix your own equipment and know how it works? This is the class for you. Bring your own lawnmower, chainsaw, go-cart, tiller or any other two or four cycle power equipment and we will get it running.
  4. General Auto Maintenance & Repair: Introduction to general auto maintenance and repair, diagnosis of vehicle problem(s), needed repair(s) and vehicle parts identification. Class uses instructor guided repairs on student’s vehicle(s) to learn brake repair, electrical repair & multi-meter, coolant flush, transmission flush, injector flush, and steering & suspension repair.
  5. Basic Residential Wiring: This course introduces the student to residential wiring. Some topics include electrical careers, terms, tools, equipment, electrical plans and drawings, understanding electrical safety systems, electrical connections, switches, receptacles, NEC, working with Romex and much more.
Some of them may be pretty basic, but I'm sure even basic knowledge is better than I have currently. I'm still looking for other options but the Outboard Repair and the Diesel Maintenance classes might be worth while. We shall see. More to come later regarding that stuff.

I also heard back from another sailing class and it was a two day program for, it was $289.Apparently that's the normal, but seems more than I'd like to pay for two days. Still keeping my fingers crossed for a local skipper to take me out and show me the ropes. Har har harrr.

Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. I've wondered how much training I should take as well. Many people say the best learning you could do is by getting an older boat, and just doing all the work necessary to get her seaworthy. You'll know everything about the boat, and how to fix the systems on her. That being said, I've definitely thought about a diesel engine class. Although my brother is a diesel mechanic, so maybe I'll just go pay him with beers and learn some stuff :)

    ReplyDelete