Monday, July 4, 2011

Introduction

Greetings Salty Dogs and Land Lubbers!

Well, in reality, that was weird for both of us! Honestly, I'm not 100% sure why I decided I wanted to make a page in the first place. Hell, I'm not exactly sure why I made the decision to name the page "Cheap Oars" besides the double meaning of a sexual pun with the addition of a nautical theme. I could have named the page, "My Liveaboard Goals" or something... but man, that "oar" joke was just too much to pass up, mate.

Alright, I've made up my mind in this first post I'm going to list out exactly what I'm wanting out of this. Now please know, my desires may very well change... that's sort of the point of this site. A visual history of my way of thought, and if anyone wants to follow and help me the better.

  1. Sailing Experience
  2. SCUBA certification
  3. Advance Open Water and Rescue Diving
  4. Free diving training
  5. Boat Ownership
  6. Live Aboard
  7. Graduate
  8. Career (where I can live aboard!)
Now granted, those are not listed in a particular order. Nor do they list everyone of my goals... just those on my mind at the moment. Obviously, I want a family. But seeing as I've lived on my own since I was 15, I really want to develop a smooth foundation for my future first and foremost. The last ex broke me from rushing in til then. That is another story.

As the above states, those are not listed in a particular order. I'm actually considering buying a Catalina 22 I know that's for sale before the boating experience because its a good deal and would give me free training at the Yacht Club instead.

Not sure if it's the best route to go, but to me, it seems like it is. I figure, I could always sell it anyways if I needed too. I wouldn't live on this boat, but it would be good great sailing experience.

So I've recently subscribed to the Living Aboard magazine. And I just bought the Sailing for Dummies book. I'm honest (and modest) that the book won't hurt... I also accept the fact I won't walk away being an expert. I figure that it will (hopefully) give me the foundation to start with. I'm looking to join a Yacht Club for the boating experience/connections. If not, I'll take a class... but those classes are normally one time thing and that's it. So, that is a secondary option to me.

If anyone reads this do you have any other suggestions for me to get started? Any advice you have would be great! I'm in Tulsa, OK area.

Be good or good at it, mate.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I have any advice for since I'm learning as I go too! The advice I keep getting from the forums I post on is to go smaller, simpler, and sooner. Don't put the dream on hold. Of course I'm still in a holding pattern, so i'm a pretty big hypocrite! :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, everything I've seen has said that too. Don't wait, just do. I'm too logical, to a fault, so this will be an after graduation thing for me at the soonest. Until then, I want to get as much stuff under my belt to prepare me for it before I get there (dream much?).

    ReplyDelete