Monday, July 4, 2011

Deep Thinking

Well, to start this thing off... 
Happy Independence Day America!


Now, updates from yesterday. The Catalina 22 I was just told about... already sold. The Yacht Club training program I was looking at is already half way finished. It's not really cost effective knowing you are only getting half of your money's worth. Also, there won't be another one til next year when I hope to be on the gulf coast for some school classes during the summer.

More hopeful note, the director at the Club seemed very friendly and helpful. I sent him a response back indicating I'd still be very interested in joining I would just like to know my odds of someone taking me as crew to train. Not sure exactly what that process is, but hopefully it'll be something plausible.

If you look back to yesterday's post, I put up a quick list of small goals. After some Deep Thinking done today, I think I already added a bunch to them and wanted to get some peoples suggestions as to what might be really helpful or a waste of time. Also note, I have very little knowledge with all things discussed.

I'm thinking about taking some classes to help with some of the important things I might need to know while on board a liveaboard sailboat. I'm wanting to take engine classes, electrical/electricity classes, and possibly heat/ac classes. What I found so far regarding marine seemed more for powerboats or automobile related knowledge. Does marine electrical work compare to that of automobile electrical work? I'd imagine not, but then again, my knowledge is pretty null. Also, would automotive engine repair help with the sailboats engine trouble or will that mostly be diesel? How do they compare?

Granted I'm aware all knowledge is good knowledge, but which would be more useful? Right now I'm considering more: Marine Engine Mechanical, Marine Electrical Systems, Diesel Engine Systems, and Preventive Maintenance Diesel Service.

Alright, I think this is all jumbled for now so I'll leave it at that.
Be good or be good at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment